What is Montessori?
Montessori is a system of education that is both a philosophy of child development and a methodology of guiding each child’s development to its full potential.
What are its premises?
- Each child is to be respected as a unique individual
- Each child possesses an unusual sensitivity and intellectual ability to absorb and learn from his/her environment.
- Each child has a deep love and need for purposeful work. It is through this that he/she develops his/her mental, physical and psychological powers.
What makes it unique?
- The whole child approach: the development of social skills, emotional growth, physical coordination and cognition.
- Prepared environment: the classroom, materials, social setting and atmosphere support the child.
- Montessori materials: Dr. Maria Montessori designed a number of multi-sensory sequential, and self-correcting materials to facilitate learning.
- The teacher: designer of the environment, resource person, role model, demonstrator, record keeper, and meticulous observer of children.
What are its goals?
- Develop a positive attitude towards school.
- Help each child develop self confidence.
- Assist each child in building the power of concentration, inner discipline, and responsibility.
- Foster intrinsic reward for work.
- Cultivate inner security and sense of order in the child.
In a Montessori School children grow in an environment of mutual respect to become responsible world citizens. Every classroom is beautifully equipped with Montessori materials that stimulate a child’s curiosity and love of learning, drawing each one to develop his/her potential children experience learning as a joyous journey through self-directed work and thought. Children experience a spiraling, connected curriculum founded on Montessori principles. School and community work cooperatively, sharing resources and support – teachers, assistants, administrators, support staff, parents; everyone shares a vision of education excellence and shares in the work necessary to make that vision a reality.